Overview of Wuzhen
Wuzhen is located in Tongxiang City, Zhejiang Province and is one of the famous ancient towns in the south of the Yangtze River. Wuzhen Scenic Spot has been rated as a National 5A Grade Scenic Spot in China and is one of the 20 Golden Week forecast spots in the country. Wuzhen is an ancient water town in Zhejiang, located on the banks of the Beijing-Hangzhou Dayun.
This is a charming place with many ancient bridges, Chinese hotels and restaurants. In the past thousand years, the water system and lifestyle of Wuzhen have not undergone much change. It is a museum showing ancient civilizations. All houses in Wuzhen are built of stone and wood. Numerous spacious and beautiful courtyards are hidden between the houses, and visitors will be pleasantly surprised wherever they go. Wuzhen is a typical ancient town in the south of the Yangtze River. It is a typical “small bridge, flowing water, and people” in the south. Wuzhen is a famous town with a thousand years of history. In history, the town has had 64 jinshi and 161 people. Mao Dun, Shen Zemin, and Yan Duhe are all from Wuzhen.
Wuzhen is the first batch of Chinese historical and cultural towns, China’s top ten charming towns, beautiful surrounding towns and villages, and national 5A-level tourist attractions. Wuzhen is known as the “last pillow of China” and has a history of more than 7,000 years of civilization and 1300 years The history of the town is a typical ancient town in the south of China’s rivers and waters. With a history of 6,000 years, it is one of the 20 golden week forecast spots in the country and one of the six ancient towns in Jiangnan. In 1991, it was named a famous historical and cultural city in Zhejiang Province. Since 2013, Wuzhen Drama Festival has been held. On November 19, 2014, it became the permanent site of the World Internet Conference.
Introduction to Wuzhen Attractions
Wuzhen is a historic Jiangnan town on the northern outskirts of Tongxiang. The main scenic area is divided into Xizha and Dongzha. Enjoying the night view of Xizha, riding a barge and watching folk performances are experiences that visitors will not miss.
Dongzha and Xizha are about 1.5 kilometers away. If you want to play both Dongzha and Xizha in one day, you should go to Wuzhen early in the morning. You can go to Dongzha first (2-3 hours) and start in Xixi after lunch. Tour until you see the night view in Xizha at night. If there are two more days, you can consider one each for Xizha and Dongzha.
What to see in Xizha and Dongzha: You can stroll around Shiban Road in Xizha for a day, try local snacks such as stinky tofu, Dingsheng cake, and aunt cake, or visit the old cultural sites such as Zhaoming College, the Old Post Office, etc. Sway the barge to taste the water town.
If time permits, don’t miss the Xizha Night Tour. The water lanes, ancient bridges and white walls are illuminated by lights, and the scenery is beautiful. After enjoying the night view, go to the bar for two drinks, or watch an old open-air movie, listen to a flower drum show, it is very comfortable.
Compared with Xizha, Dongzha, although smaller, has a stronger life. There are also locals living here, there are also shadow puppet theaters, Sanbaijiu workshops, Xiuzhen Temple, and the former residence of Mao Dun. You can also see performances such as boxing boats (boxing on the boat), high pole boats (clipping bamboo poles on the boat), etc. Richer folklore and historical connotation. There is a shuttle bus between Dongzha and Xizha.
Wuzhen Food and Specialties
Braised mutton, white water fish, and sauce duck must be delicious in Wuzhen. Lamb is especially famous. The Hanlin House Hotel in Dongzha, Fengyuan Restaurant, the Republic of China Restaurant, Yusheng Restaurant, and Sanzhenzhai Duck Shop in Xizha are all popular restaurants. Try the special snacks such as fried stinky tofu, Dingsheng cake, and aunt cake in the streets.
If you want to bring back something special, hand-made “Three White Liquor”, Tao Xuchang Douban Sauce, exquisite woodcarving bamboo carving, and headscarf made of “blue printed cloth”, tea coasters, umbrellas, wallets and various pictogram Accessories are good choices, and there are many specialty shops on the street.
Wuzhen Scenic Resort
There are many hotels and inns in the Xizha Scenic Area, all of which are managed by the official uniform. The cost ranges from low to high. Living in the scenic area can be convenient to play, and can better experience the night view of Xizha. There are also many hotels and inns to choose from outside the scenic area, and the prices are cheaper than those in the scenic area.
100 yuan in Wucun
Dongzha 110 yuan
Xizha 150 yuan
East and West Gate Scenic Spot Ticket 190 yuan
80 yuan / person in Dongzha,
Xizha 100 yuan / person,
East-west ticket 135 yuan / person
Best time to travel in Wuzhen
Spring and autumn are the most beautiful times of the year in Wuzhen, especially during the Qingming Festival. Wuzhen is the most beautiful and lively. Wuzhen is the most beautiful of the day in the early morning and evening. The mist in the early morning and the evening sunset reflect the most charming scenery.
Wuzhen Traffic Guide
Wuzhen does not have an airport. If you take a plane, you can go to Shanghai, Hangzhou and other cities near Tongxiang, and then transfer by train or long-distance bus.
Train can go to Tongxiang Railway Station, then take bus K282 to Wuzhen Bus Station.
Long-distance buses go directly to Tongxiang bus station and then transfer to Wuzhen bus station. Shanghai, Hangzhou, Xitang, etc. all have direct flights to Wuzhen bus station. After arriving at Wuzhen Bus Station in the above way, you can take bus K350 to Wuzhen Dongzha and Xizha Scenic Spots; there are free shuttle buses between Dongzha and Xizha Scenic Spots that you can take or walk.
（1）Wuzhen Bus Station-Tongxiang Railway Station (K282)
（2）Tongxiang Railway Station-Wuzhen Bus Station: There are 39 classes a day, the first class is 7:25, and the last class is 21:40
（3）Wuzhen Bus Station-Tongxiang Railway Station: There are 38 flights a day at 6:10, and the last 20:35
Note: The night bus departs from Wuzhen Xizha Scenic Area (Xizha departure departures are: 18:15, 18:50, 19:50, 20:35)
(4) Wuzhen Bus Station-Tongxiang Passenger Transport Center (K231)
(5) Tongxiang Passenger Transport Center-Wuzhen Bus Station: 46 flights a day, the first flight is 6:00, the last flight is 18:00
(6) Wuzhen Bus Station-Tongxiang Passenger Transport Center: 46 flights a day, the first flight is 6:00, the last flight is 18:00
Note: The night bus departs from Fengxian New Village of Wuzhen (Departures of Fengxian New Village of Wuzhen are: 18:30, 19:20, 20:10, 21:00)
Self-driving tour of Wuzhen
- Shanghai-Wuzhen: The whole journey is only 80 minutes by car. Take the Shenjiahu Expressway to Wuzhen, exit Wuzhen, and reach Wuzhen in 10 minutes.
- Suzhou to Wuzhen: The whole journey is only 60 minutes by car. Take the Zhajiasu Expressway, transfer to Jiaxing to Shenjiahu Expressway, exit the Wuzhen Expressway, and reach Wuzhen in 10 minutes.
(1) About 300 kilometers from Nanjing to Wuzhen. From Nanjing, take the Huzhou North Exit of the Hangzhou-Nanjing Expressway to the first level (Salt Lake) highway directly to Wuzhen.
(2) Take the Shanghai-Nanjing Expressway to Suzhou to Zhajiasu Expressway, to Jiaxing, to Shenjiahu Expressway, to Wuzhen Exit, to Wuzhen in 10 minutes.
- Tongxiang-Wuzhen: 13 kilometers from Tongxiang to Wuzhen. From Tongxiang, take the first-level (Salt Lake) highway to Wuzhen directly.
- Hangzhou-Wuzhen: only 50 minutes by car.
(1) Take the Shenjiahu-Hangzhou Expressway (49.9 km along S1 3, head towards Jiaxing / Shanghai, turn slightly right), turn to Shenjiahu Expressway (4.3 km along S12, reach Wuzhen Exit), take the Wuzhen Exit and exit Keep driving north (2.7 km along Yaotai Line) and you will reach Wuzhen.
(2) Take the Shanghai-Hangzhou Expressway to the Gaoqiao exit, pass Tongxiang, take the 20 km first-grade highway, and reach Wuzhen in 20 minutes. (Or go from Hangzhou, 320 National Road to Tongxiang).
- Jiaxing-Wuzhen: From Jiaxing to Wuzhen, about 40 kilometers, from Jiaxing, take National Road 320 to Tongxiang, and then pass Tongxiang to Wuzhen; or Jiaxing to Wuzhen directly.
- Ningbo-Wuzhen: The journey takes about 2-3 hours.
(1) Cross-sea bridge highway, cross the bridge, (haiyan hub, also known as xitang bridge hub), turn to zhajiasu highway, (guanyin bridge hub), turn to shenjiahu highway, exit from Wuzhen highway, keep going north, To Wuzhen.
(2) Take the Hangzhou-Ningbo Expressway, transfer to Hangzhou-Shanghai-Hangzhou Expressway, get off at Tudian Expressway, pass Tongxiang, take 20 kilometers of first-grade highway, reachable in 20 minutes.
- Wenzhou-Wuzhen: Take the Wenzhou Expressway, follow the Ningbo direction to the Ningbo Ring Expressway, take the Hangzhou Bay Bridge, walk down the Zhajiasu Expressway, transfer to the Shenjiahu Expressway, and exit at Wuzhen, more than 5 hours drive.
- Wuxi-Wuzhen: Taihu Avenue-Shanghai-Nanjing Expressway-Sujiahang Expressway south-Zhajiasu Expressway south-Shenjiahu Expressway-Wuzhen, the distance is 135 kilometers.
- Although there are many trains going to Wuzhen every day, pay attention to time and don’t miss the last train
- It’s best not to rush to Wuzhen during the holidays, because the most particular of this Jiangnan town is leisure, if there are too many people, you will not see the scenery! However, if you only have time for holidays, it is best to stay in Wuzhen for one night. Get up early in the morning, and the ancient town in the morning is the most beautiful.
- Every day from 8 am to 16:30 pm, there are free buses between the two scenic spots of Dongzha and Xizha, which can be taken at the visitor center.
- The content of Xizha is richer than that of Dongzha. You can spend more time in Dongzha.
- When you go to Wuzhen in the rainy season, remember to bring rain gear with you to prevent it from raining.
- Avoid walking in Wuzhen at noon in summer, because there is no place to shade, it will be hot at this time.
- Riding a barge is a very popular experience in Wuzhen, both in Dongzha and Xizha. You can wait for the boat to fill up, or charter the boat.
8, go to the old post office to send a postcard to relatives or friends, you will see a unique postmark after receiving.
- During the holidays or Wuzhen Drama Festival, Wuzhen is very popular, and accommodation in Xizha Scenic Spot needs to be booked in advance.